Demin Days

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Floors Again?

We were told by several sources that the beautiful wood floor that I loved was not good to live in. It was meant to be the sub floor. Hence, why air came through it and the whole house shook when you walked. Sadly, I agreed to look at new flooring . . .  if the price was reasonable. Finally, after searching and searching, buying and trying, and a few mishaps along the way we found the perfect deal.

At first, we were talked into laminate flooring. However, it wasn't as easy to install as they promised, even for my talented, do-it yourself husband. And I personally thought it looked too fake. It would look good in a brand new house, but not our simple country house. It's just not our style. I like authentic looking - remember I'm use to solid wood.

So we left that place, drove out to a place in Mesquite, and Danny talked me in to buying the next to lowest grade floor they had. (That sounds like a ridiculous thing to do. But have you even seen Danny excited about an idea, he just looks so cute! Who could say no to that?!)  He had resourced that type of flooring ON THE INTERNET!!! (BY HIMSELF!) It had good reviews, they just commented that it has more knots than a higher grade wood. However, since we were planning on staining the wood those extras knots should give it more "character". I decided I could trust him, he hadn't led me wrong yet. And it was by far the cheapest. (I like saving money when I can.)

Alright, now we get to go through the sanding, staining, sealing process again . . . this time, we get to install it as well. Here we go:


Here's all the wood.

This is the installed mat we put down first. We used duct tape to put it down. However, we ran out pretty fast. Lucky for us, I had PINK duct tape on hand! :)



Here's how the floor is installed. It's a nail gun that puts the nails in at a slant so that you don't see them. I thought that was pretty cool. And as fun as this tool looks it's not that easy to use. I couldn't quite hit it hard enough and almost messed up the board trying. So we let Danny do that part; I just helped line the boards up.

Remember BamBam from the Flintstones? Don't you think he'd love a tool like this? Too bad we couldn't get him to do our floors.


Here's what the floors look like finished and up close!

1 comment:

  1. From Ma:==> You two are amazing! I i thought you had lost your mind the first time I saw your House. But it is so cute. I am so proud of you.. Love Ma

    ReplyDelete